Spinach & Mushroom Quinoa
Quinoa has been an obsession for me lately. I really enjoy its taste and I try to find any opportunity to add it in my recipes (savoury & sweet as well). This recipe is inspired by a traditional greek dish called “spanakorizo” (spinach and rice). The day that I decided to make it I had some leftover mushrooms that I didn’t want to go to waste so I added them as well. It turned out to be a really tasty dish and also extremely healthy, as it is packed with fiber and a lot of nutrients.
I hope you enjoy it as much as I did and please if you do make it let me know what you think of it!!!!
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 small white onion (chopped)
- 2 green onions (chopped)
- 1 garlic clove (minced)
- Fresh thyme
- 200 gr. white mushrooms (thinly sliced)
- 250 gr. quinoa (rinsed)
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1-litre chicken or vegetable stock
- 400 gr. spinach
- Juice from 2 lemons
- A little lemon zest
- Salt / Pepper (to taste)
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium – high heat
- Add the white onion, garlic and fresh thyme and saute for a few minutes.
- Next add the mushrooms and the green onions and continue to saute for a few more minutes until the mushrooms begin to soften,
- Add the quinoa and give it a stir, just enough to coat it with the olive oil.
- Add the wine and let it evaporate
- Then, add the stock, bring it to a boil and lower the heat.
- Let it simer for about 15 – 20 minutes (or until you see the quinoa nearly done).
- Finally, add the fresh spinach, the lemon juice and the lemon zest and stir it until the spinach has wilted.
- Season with salt & pepper according to your taste and of course…